Text Box:

Contact Information


General Agent

John Beckwith

Direct Line: (269) 492-6989

Email: jbeckwith@beckwithgroup.com



Michelle Beckwith-Horton

Direct Line: (269) 492-6990

Email: mhorton@beckwithgroup.com



Stephanie Brown

Office: (269) 375-0000

Email: sbrown@beckwithgroup.com



Tom Ufkes

Office: (269) 375-0000

Email: tufkes@beckwithgroup.com



Deb Bellingar

Office: (269) 375-0000

Email: dbellingar@beckwithgroup.com



Hours Of Operation

Monday - Friday 9:00a.m-5:00pm.

Frequently Asked Questions


Below are some of the more frequent questions we receive as an agency.  If you have a specific question please do not hesitate to give us a call or email.



Should I make my payments to the Beckwith & Associates Insurance Agency, LLC or the insurance company?

All payments should be directed to the insurance company unless specifically stated by your representative.  Please see our "payment" section if you wish to pay by phone or have a question on your billing account. 

Auto Insurance

What is broad form collision and can I choose something different? 

Broad form collision allows you to not have to pay your deductible if you are not deemed at fault in an accident.  There are also options to choose "regular" and "limited."  These options should be discussed with your agent.

Do I need to have auto insurance if my vehicle is paid off? 

Yes, it is the State law for all owners of a vehicle to have auto insurance.

Homeowners Insurance

What is the difference between "replacement cost" and "market value?" 

Replacement cost is the amount it costs to rebuild a home or structure.  This amount can also include demolition.  This value can be significantly different than an appraisal.  Reason being, the cost of materials to rebuild can outweigh a home or structure's market value.  When insuring a home or structure the insurance company needs to know the replacement cost.  There are tools that our agents use to help approximate this value.

What is scheduling?

Scheduling involves placing specific items with a specific value on your homeowners insurance.  It can also be called an "Inland Marine" policy.  This allows coverage for items that may be leaving your premises and would then be lost or stolen.  They can also be set at specific deductibles.  The most common items to schedule are jewelry, bikes, cameras and fine arts.

Does my insurance cover special events such as weddings?

Many venues that are rented for special occasions such as weddings and graduation open houses require proof of coverage for up to $1,000,000 in liability insurance to cover property damage and bodily injury accidents that may occur during the event.  Many Homeowners policies will provide coverage for these types of events. An Umbrella liability policy is also a good idea and will comply with the requirement for $1,000,000 in liability coverage.

 If you are hosting an event where alcohol will be served, your homeowners policy will cover this "host liquor liability" as long as you do not charge money for the alcohol. If alcohol will be served it is recommended to transfer the liability by hiring a bartender or caterer who carries their own liquor liability coverage. If you do decide to have a cash bar or if the venue requires to be listed as an additional insured on your policy, we can provide you with a separate Special Event Liability policy to cover this exposure.

For specific events and how coverage would be afforded under your policy please contact us.


Umbrella insurance refers to liability insurance that is in excess of specified other policies and also potentially primary insurance for losses not covered by the other policies.

When an insured is liable to someone, the insured's primary insurance policies pay up to their limits, and any additional amount is paid by the umbrella policy (up to the limit of the umbrella policy).

Excess insurance is similar in that it pays after an underlying primary policy is exhausted, but the critical difference is that excess policies are normally "follow form" policies that conform exactly to the coverage of the underlying policy, except that they add on their own excess limit on top of the primary policy's limit. Umbrella policies tend to provide broader coverage over one or more primary policies, in that they lack "follow form" clauses, their definitions of what is covered may be broader than the definitions in the primary policies, and they sometimes lack exclusions used in the primary policies. Thus, an umbrella policy may cover certain risks from the first dollar of loss or liability incurred, which were never covered under the primary policies. For those risks that are left uncovered by primary policies but are covered under the umbrella policy, the latter is said to "drop down" to cover them as primary insurance and fill in the gaps in the underlying policies. Hence, the "umbrella" nomenclature is a reference to the broader coverage of the policy.

Personal umbrella policies are typically made excess of a person's homeowner's and automobile insurance. A commercial umbrella policy may be based on a commercial general liability (CGL) primary policy.

Examples of liability that an umbrella policy may cover that a homeowner's policy often excludes include:

False arrest



Invasion of privacy


What is an adjuster?

An adjuster is a representative of the insurance company that helps settle a claim.  They are not employed by The Beckwith & Associates Insurance Agency, LLC.

Will turning in a claim automatically increase my insurance?

This is not an easy answer.  Different insurance companies will have different formulas on determining your insurance premium; one of which can be claim frequency and severity.  It is our recommendation to discuss your specific claim with our claims manager to see if turning in a claim makes sense.  However, all possible liability claims need to be turned in as the insurance company needs to be put on notice.






5228 Lovers Lane, Suite 104

Portage, MI 49002


Phone:(269) 375-0000

Toll Free:(800) 237-5504